Where did 2015 go?
You know what they say… the older you get, the faster time flies. Not saying I am “old” in any way, shape, or form, but this being my first full year out of college as a real “grown up” — made that adult time literally fly by.
Looking back at 2015, I can’t help but get extremely sentimental. I was faced with some insanely tough decisions, choices, predicaments, and obstacles. But I’m not stopping there. In those (very) frightening moments, I was graced with even more blessings, favor, gifts and peace. So, I can’t help but look to a very exciting 2016 — knowing that there are even more exciting moments and memories ahead.
So cheers to 2016 — and cheers to learning so many lessons in 2015, and applying those to new lessons to be learned in ’16. My 2016 resolutions:
- Learn French. You guys — I cannot contain my excitement. Learning to be fluent in a second language (particularly French) has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. I attempted 4 years of French in school, but learning out of textbook didn’t seem to be my forte (my accent = horrible). I somehow stumbled upon a f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s local Parisian and French tutor and am starting a weekly tutor sesh next week here in Austin (eep!). A little fun fact about me: I was born in Grasse, France — and our family continues to be influenced by the French culture on a regular basis.
- Date Myself. This year — I went through a break up that I never honestly thought I would go through. And although I don’t plan on sharing any intimate details here on the blog, I can say that it was an emotionally insane learning experience about myself and who I am as a person, especially after being in a serious relationship for so long. So — I am declaring 2016 to be a year that I focus on myself and who I am destined to become (and if Mr. right does comes along the way — I’m definitely open to that plan too!). However, I do feel as if society rushes a lot of us Millennials to get married instantly after college, and I’m a firm believer that you grow so much in your 20’s — that it’s important to have time to yourself. If you girls are single this holiday season — know that I feel the pressure too, but it’s okay to be alone and that being alone is important and essential for learning more about what you want in a partner along the way. Also sidenote: one of the most freeing feelings of all time is to be 110% happy… alone. As Carrie Bradshaw says, you have to fall in love with yourself, first.
- Grow the Blog. A lot of what I do is focused primarily on instagram because I do feel like my main readership lives on Instagram. Our age group is constantly on the go, and instagram is the quickest way to get those effortlessly chic and darling outfits to you guys. However, blogging has always been my dream and writing is one of my personal favorite parts about blogging. So I will be putting in more efforts into producing more blog content in 2016 and hopefully finding more time to make it happen!
- Travel. You know what they say — do. it. while. you’re. young. I’m not quite sure where we’ll be off to — but the fam and I will definitely be taking advantage of the ability to work and blog abroad.
- Make Time with God. I started a weekly Bible Study with some college girlfriends this year and I couldn’t be more thankful for the experience. My faith is such an important part of what I do and I’m so blessed to have established this relationship with God. However, I do feel like more “quiet time” with myself and with the Lord is an absolute essential. Sometimes it’s hard to make time for this with all the hustle and bustle of deadlines and timelines — but if you want make time for something — you will. And in 2016, I absolutely will.
- Calm Down. Ha! This one makes me laugh — just because I’m your typical Type A busy-bee who can’t seem to catch a break ONLY because I choose to be that way. Sometimes I complain that I’m too busy and never have time to breathe — but it’s 110% my choice to not have time to breathe. I plan on spending way more time “winding down” with favorite Netflix shows, finding inspo on pinterest, and spending more time with the girls (going out as a blogger is nearly impossible, but dinners and happy hours will do), and more Chloe time – OF COURSE.
- Keep Trusting My Gut. I can’t even tell you how many times this year I was faced with an impossible-seeming situation. And in every absolutely frightening situation I faced — my gut always told me to choose the “harder” option, versus the “easier” option. However, every time I did listen to my instinct or what you could call — faith, I was rewarded with blessings that seemed like miracles. Trusting your gut is such a hard lesson to learn, because you feel like you’re walking into a situation, completely blinded. And to be honest, those situations are never fun or easy. Another way to look at it is: Your gut knows what your mind hasn’t quite figured out. Even though I went through so many situations, I still struggle with it day in and day out and hope that I can fully learn this lesson in 2016.
- Get Trendier! A lot of the looks I do post are super casual, and I’m excited to put more effort into more trendy, street style-esque and fun looks on the blog and instagram account. Stay tuned, darlings!
- Escort Electronics Out of My Room an Hour Before Bedtime. Okay – this may be the most unrealistic of all, but it is worth the resolution try (ammiright?!). I’m your classic over-thinking insomniac that spends way too much time in her head, and not enough sleeping in my bed. And after reading time and time again that electronics before bed can overstimulate all those thoughts, it’s time to attempt to do something about it. Will be in touch about how smoothly this one goes…
- Set New Goals for Myself and Chase Them. I know that resolutions are essentially goals — but this resolution is about constantly setting new goals on a regular (daily, weekly, or monthly) basis. One of my favorite traditions I founded after founding a business has been to write out the goals I have achieved each month – after achieving them. It’s a great way to give yourself a little pat on the back (which we all deserve!) and also to keep feeling inspired for the next month to come. Sometimes I do worry that I’ll get too comfortable, and one of my biggest resolutions is to keep setting new goals, and not just get comfortable with the last ones. After all – it is the time to pursue our dreams, darling! In my eyes — it’s now or never.
What are your 2016 dreams and resolutions? I’d love to hear from you.
XO — Jessi
Love your dress! And your resolutions are right on point too – I have a few of the same ones in mind for myself this year. Happy New Year and good luck with all of your goals! 🙂
Great resolutions! I’ll be working on getting electronics out of the bedroom in 2016, too. And I love the idea of creating new goals all the time for yourself.
Such wisdom from such a “young’un”! Keep me posted on your dreams.
Jessi! I came across your blog recently (I used to intern for Camille Styles, too!) and loved getting to know you a little better through reading your resolutions. Cheering you on and can’t wait to follow along in 2016! Xo!
Love these resolutions! The “date myself” one has to be my favorite and you can never go wrong with traveling more!
Law of Fashion Blog
Jessi, thank you for sharing this. As a fellow blogger who’s a good ten years older than you, I can say you’ve got wisdom beyond your years when it comes to life: dating yourself? Travel while you’re young? Nailed it. Love it. Thanks for continuing to be a style (AND life!) inspiration to us Austin bloggers. Keep Austin Darling in 2016!
I love this so much! Thank you for sharing! You addressed one of my biggest issues with the culture of our age (I am also one year out of college) and I am so happy for all of my friends getting married right out of school but it is NOT for everyone and I hate that it is becoming the standard! We are just learning how to stand on our own two feet, we need time to learn ourselves! Anyways, loved that resolution. xoxo
Thank you for getting personal and sharing your goals with your readers 🙂 it really helps us gain more insight into who our blogging inspirations really are 🙂 happy new year to you!
What an awesome list to ring in the New Year with! I especially love #2. I need to work on that myself!
Looking gorgeous in your blue dress!
Great dress!! Would love to learn French too. Such a great language. Also learned it in school but that’s just not enough.
Kisses from http://poshnessary.com ❤
LOVE the velvet dress and the color is to die for! Happy New Year!
Love your blog! I read it every day. I also love seeing your precious pup! You are very wise to be so young. I have a daughter your age. Good for you on all the resolutions!! Happy New Year!!
These are amazing New Year’s Resolutions ! I’m glad they are different and not just the basic eat healthier & work out haha. Although, those are always great ones too, just everyone does them ! I love your dress by the way !
Love this dress! Amazing new years goals! Hope you’re enjoying you’re holiday season. xx
I agree with you, it is hard sometimes to select the dress, you look very cool! Your dress has a unique design, which makes me love it. Hairstyle is also excellent, fashionable design of the dresses are fabulous.
These are such great resolutions! I know that you can achieve them- 2016 will be amazing!
I’ve followed your blog and Insta for a while now…it’s been great watching your account grow. This is my first time leaving a comment and I truly love this blog post! My favorite resolution that you set for yourelf was number #2. I think a lot of women forget that it’s okay not to be married by the age of 22. Good luck with all of your goals, I’m sure you’ll master learning French 😉 I hope you have a wonderful New Years.
P.s #9 is a good one too! I struggle with putting my phone away before bed. #thestruggleisreal
I love your dress!! Most of your resolutions are very similar to my own, especially the language learning one (for me it’s Spanish) and the unplugging early one. I also love what you said about “dating yourself” and being single. I agree with you, the pressure to be in a relationship (even as teenager) can be a lot, but I choose to use my current single status as a chance to learn. Happy New Year and good luck:)
Love your resolutions! Mine are pretty simple this year, but the most important resolution I want to achieve is being more mindful about life & living in the moment more!
– Justine Erica | missjustinee.blogspot.com